“Beg-Worthy Banana Bread”
Good morning everyone! Who is ready to bake some vegan banana bread?
Well, all thanks to Mama Pea, you can! I used her cookbook recipe “Beg-Worthy Banana Bread” yesterday, and will share it here today. I put in my own modifications because I didn’t have all the same ingredients. It still turned out great!
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour* whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup vegan margarine (earth balance)* smart balance margarine
1/4 cup almond butter
2 cups overripe bananas
1/2 teaspoon almond extract* vanilla extract
1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
nuts and seeds to sprinkle on top (walnuts & almonds)
*I only crossed things out to show what I used instead. In no way am I saying one way is better than the other. Please don’t think that- I would have used all Mama Pea’s ingredients if I had them all 🙂
1) Pre-heat oven to 350
2) mix wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg
3) cream together brown sugar, margarine and almond butter using hand mixer or fork (I used a fork and it was just fine), add mashed bananas. Add almond extract and milk, stir to combine.
4) add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined
5) lick the wisk (very important)
6) spray loaf pan with cooking spray, spread batter evenly and sprinkle desired nuts and seeds on top
7) bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (took me about 50 minutes).
Let cool before slicing
If you would like a little more sweetness, add honey or jelly on top- so yummy!
Look at that! Your house will smell amazing!
Beware of the clean plate!
For being a vegan cake I give Mama Pea a full 5 stars. I say that because typically when I hear “Vegan Dessert” I think dry and bland. This is neither dry or bland. It is moist and delicious! It’s definitely not as sweet as your typical banana bread, but I like that about it. It feels healthier without leaving my tastebuds unsatisfied. Filling too!