Happy Monday. Marco and I are still on my birthday trip. We’re currently in San Francisco (my favorite place on earth!). I’m doing my best to take photos on Instagram (@paigeschmidt) :).
I hope this topic isn’t too heavy for a Monday. Rather, I hope it’s encouraging. This topic was reader requested. We’re going to chat about something that has been so important to me and finding complete joy in my life-my spirituality.
Now, before I begin, I’d like to say that I realize that this is a very personal subject, so to start: it is completely okay to have your own story and beliefs.
I would never expect for your story to look just like mine. So, let’s call a truce. You be you, I’ll be me, and we can all encourage each other regardless. My spirituality is so special to me and has changed my life in such a big way, which is why I’m so open today to sharing about it with you.
Before I explain the importance of spirituality, let me give you a bit of a background as to how I found my relationship with God. Prior to the age of 18, I did not really have a spiritual life. Religion was not a huge part of my life growing up. Occasionally I would go to a Christian camp, or God would be briefly mentioned by my parents, but it wasn’t a huge factor in my life.
When I was 18, I was in an extremely difficult place in my life with constant dieting, body image issues, friendships, and relationships. I finally came to the realization that something needed to change.
One Sunday, I called my cousin and asked if I could come to church with her at Reality Church in Ventura. When I heard the sermon, I immediately felt completely satisfied and as cliche as it sounds, I found that missing piece of the puzzle. I realized in that moment that never before in my life had I felt so completely full and satisfied. It was so unexpected, too! I had just gone to church to try to have a good day, I never expected a complete transformation to occur.
From that day on, I knew I wanted to have a real relationship with God. I started getting involved in church, having my quiet time, and having a personal relationship with God by talking with Him, placing my worries into His hands, and trusting in Him. Even after years of developing my spirituality, my best days are always when I begin them by talking with God and having my quiet time with Him.
So in what ways has finding my spirituality had an impact on my life? Oh my goodness, so many ways. I’m going to share with you exactly why it is so important to have a spiritual life, and the things I have experienced since finding my relationship with God.
- Praying to and believing in someone higher than yourself shows the importance of taking care of yourself and your own soul. Your beliefs are just that-your own. And you begin to nurture those beliefs and grow in them.
- It allows you to see that there is so much more to the world than just you and your thoughts. I hope that doesn’t sound harsh, really it’s actually very freeing. You realize that you do not have to do everything perfectly, and that the world will not crumble if you make a mistake, or disappoint someone. No one is perfect, and that is completely okay.
- You know that you are loved and accepted exactly as you are right now. It does not matter your body size, your relationship or job status, or what your house looks like. You are loved in this moment, without even needing to make a single change, and that is the best feeling.
- Spirituality teaches you that we are all beautiful, and there is no need to be jealous of others. This includes the comparison traps that we find ourselves in on social media, in pictures, or amongst our friends. There is no one in this world exactly like you, and you are designed in God’s perfect image. He made you beautifully.
- You become less anxious, and much more grounded, calm, and authentic version of yourself. You are more forgiving of yourself and others, and do not feel so stressed. You take your worries to a Higher power, and instantly feel a sense of relief.
- The effects that spirituality has had on my relationship with food has been tremendous. I now see that although I want to treat my body well, food is not everything and should not be my main focus. You can read more about how I healed my relationship with food here, but growing in my relationship with God was the key to breaking free from the constant dieting and bingeing.
- Finally, your relationships improve immensely because you have a different focus. My relationship with Marco has been the first relationship I’ve had where God has been the true center. We both share that common love of God (of course, each of our spiritual lives look different, and that’s okay!). We’ve learned that in everything (conversations, decisions, values) the end goal is always love. I can say with 100% confidence that my relationship with Marco looks night and day different from previous relationships I’ve had because God is the center.
So these are the ways that my life has improved for the better since finding my spirituality. If you are currently feeling the desire to find your own, I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have. You can email me or ask in the comments, and I will talk with you more! Also, do not be nervous to ask other people who you look up to or you see have a genuine sense of happiness and healthiness about them. Ask what they believe in, and I guarantee that they will be more than happy to share with you.
I’ll link to some of the resources I use in my quiet time and daily life: The journal I use, the devotional I read, the first bible I ever bought and still read (similar), and the book that first helped me with my body image.
To end, here are just a few verses that encourage me daily:
This is the day the the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
^ We can be happy simply because God has made us another day ^
For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
^ God did not make any mistakes when He made you ^
Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
^ Take things one day at a time ^
I hope this post helped you and has left you feeling encouraged! In the comments feel free to ask questions, start conversation, or just let me know that you enjoyed this post. I’ll be there hanging out with you over the next few days.